Monday, October 6, 2008

Ninapenda Kusafari!

So I’m back! Well, I’ve been back for like a week now, but there have been internet/laziness complications, so here it is. It's a bit long, but deal with it, it's been a while.

To be short, the safari was amazing. One of the best weekends of my life, I would say. It was more refreshing then I can convey to my devoted readers to be out of the city for the weekend. I spent the entire time breathing as much crisp clean air as possible. I spent nights next to a bonfire and the little spare time I had in the afternoon napping on an overstuffed couch on a porch looking over the Mara. The stars were breathtaking. Being near the Equator and miles upon miles from any civilization I could see more stars than I’ve seen in years.

The game drives were so much fun. We were in converted minibuses that had no ceiling so that we could stand up and see everything around us. We went on three game drives, two afternoons and one early morning. We saw four out of the Big 5 animals which was impressive! The Big 5, with it’s origins in big game hunting, are the lion, the elephant, the water buffalo, the rhino, and the leopard. We saw all of the them but the rhino, which are almost non-existent nowadays. Seeing the leopard was a very rare sighting, so we were excited! It was napping, then it woke up and walked around a bit, looking very grumpy. It then plopped back down in the grass and went back to sleep. Otherwise, we came across a whole pride of lions eating a freshly killed wildebeest, which was so gross but even for my vegetarian self was so cool. We also saw warthogs, two cheetahs, hippos, impalas, thompson’s gazelles and tons of baby goats and cows (herded by the Masasii people). Let me tell you, seeing these things in their natural environment is about 100x cooler than seeing them in the zoo.

So check out the pictures in the link below! The place we stayed at was absolutely gorgeous and had the most luxurious “tents” I’ve ever seen.... So if you ever want to safari in East Africa, let me know and I’ll hook you up :-).

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2120512&l=3f046&id=7412016

Otherwise, there has been a bit of a power issue here, i.e. a city wide crazy intense power shortage. For the last 7 days the electricity has gone out at least once an evening, usually for at least an hour. The last few days have been bad, with us having no power for hours and hours (up to 12 or 14) at a time. This is a big deal when you have reading to do for classes and can't do it, or can't boil water so that you can drink it, or cook dinner, or charge your phone. We've also been having brown-outs, which is when the government intentionally cuts the energy output in half, so that the lights are kind of on, but the microwave, stove, and water heater/boiler still don't work. I will never take having consistent electricity for granted again.

On Saturday I went to a fashion show/beauty pageant called Mr. and Ms. Kibera, which takes place and is for the biggest slum in Nairobi. It was pretty amazing, the girls and guys were all beautiful, even walking around a rickety half-stage in the middle a gigantic mud field in the middle of the slum.

Alas, I am too tired to go on. For two mornings in a row now, the homeless man that lives outside of my apartment building has decided it was a good idea to bang rocks together. This morning he started at 6:15am.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, a legit safari has to be one of the coolest things ever!! And I know exactly how you feel about getting out of the city...it was so nice to be out of Cairo and breathe fresh air and see the stars! Coming back to Cairo was a bit of a shock...alas, it happens!
So I talked to my mom the other day, and she said that she got the beer stein from Germany and its in one piece, yay!!! Thanks again for helping me with that! Hope your still doing well! :)

Anonymous said...

This post is perfect from begining to end, but the end is maybe the best part

Gary said...

I was a little alarmed at the photo of the "circumcision dance." I suppose I would be more alarmed if I were the "destination" of the circumcision dance. Do they have similar dances for other happy occasions; e.g., the "haircut dance," the "castration dance," etc.?

I confess that I often am nearly overcome with the desire to bang rocks together - particularly in the early morning hours - but have so far managed to resist. However, in view of what happens in your part of the world, I now feel the peer pressure of the international community coming to bear, and, well, suffice it to say that I shall spend the balance of this afternoon searching for a suitable pair of rocks. I'll let you know how it comes out.

:-)

Ciao, Bwana.

Anonymous said...

Bc of ur post...I will appreciate my consistent electricity...the pics of ur safari were breath taking and the tent looked like a tent EVEN AMY might enjoy:) lol

Anonymous said...

Good hunting on your safari, Erin. Some amazing things to see first hand! Sights that most of us can only imagine, we dwellers of modern americana. Hope you're having better electric service by now, and continuing in good health.Keeping watch for your next posting, we are. Love from G and G O.

Kate said...

i'm so jealous of your animal sitings, although less jealous of the power outages.

Emily McKnight said...

um. Can we switch places for a week? kthanksbi.

Mac said...

I am über jealous of you for that safari thing. All my life I have been an animal geek at heart and I love seeing all that kind of stuff. I am sorry to hear about the power thing. That really does suck a lot. I feel sorry for your future kids(if you have any of course). You're going to yell at them so hard for leaving lights on! lol!