Friday, September 26, 2008

Random Thoughts from the Dark Continent

Hello loved ones! I don’t really have a cohesive theme for this one; eventually I will do a “Day in the Life of...” post like twin did but today I just have random thoughts. There are as follows!

1. I’m going on safari this weekend!! Like, a legitimate drive-around-in-a-safari-truck-and-take-pictures-of-large-kitties safari. I’m so super excited. This will be my first real trip outside of Nairobi, which I’m also excited about because while Nairobi is cool and all, it’s really not what comes to mind when one thinks of Kenya. While not part of the program, I will be going with most of the girls in my program (14 of us total). We are going on a 3-day, 2-night trip to Masaii Mara, which involves a six hour drive through the Rift Valley to get there. This very famous nature reserve is home to the equally famous Masaii people, who are the ones you see in the documentaries with super stretched out ears or drinking cow blood or wearing blankets. We are going during the time of the wildebeest migration across Kenya, which is supposed to be an amazing sight. I plan on stocking up on lots of AA batteries, so be ready for pictures!

2. The people of Kenya have a very short national memory. It shocks me because there are pretty high levels of anti-Americanism here (towards government policy towards Africa, not me), but they are just peachy with the British, who colonized the Kenyan people and brutalized them for decades while they were at it. While I understand that Africa has a lot of reasons to not like American foreign policy, I can honestly not understand why the Kenyans positively love British people, television, and universities. Kenya’s population is very young, so most the people alive today are already 2 generations removed from any experience with colonialism. But still, you would think that there would be some bitterness? I can’t help but think it’s a little unfair...

3. It’s really funny the stuff I end up missing while I’m here, especially when it comes to food. Most food here is insanely cheap, but food that can’t be imported from Africa or Asia is so expensive or just non-existent. I miss olive oil, cream cheese, honey roasted peanuts and every type of sour candy. I don’t even eat any of these things with any regularity, but now that I can’t have them it’s driving me crazy. I’m lucky though, my roommate Dana is obsessed with Diet Coke and they don’t have that hear at all (Coke Light isn’t the same, so don’t suggest it).
I also miss wearing shorts and tank tops. I’m going to come back from Africa paler than ever, because I’m always covering up. I can technically wear shorts or flip fops (“shower shoes” is what those are considered here), as a lot of mzungus do, but I get stared at enough on the streets without showing more skin than absolutely necessary. Dressing like a Kenyan at least gets a little more respect.

That’s about it! I’ve been here over a month now, and I’m getting into the swing of things. The epic adventure called going to school doesn’t kill me now, I’ve gotten a haircut from an African with no problems, I am getting a basic grasp of Kiswahili grammar. So far so good! I don’t think my poor dirty feet will ever be the same after this...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How much resentment do they show towards their own government?

Gary said...

Re: safari, make sure you get a picture of The Great Cat of Kenya. I'm sure it's quite a sight.

Re: short national memory, they may soon discover the truth of the old adage, "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it." Just curious: has the Chinese brand of colonialism made an appearance yet, and - if so - how are the Chinese being received?

Re: missing what you can't have, I envy your coming safari. Enjoy the kitties, but don't become kitty food. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure lions qualify as "kitties"...

Anonymous said...

DEAR ERIN, BRAVO TO YOU AND CLASSMATES ON THIS, YOUR EXPEDITION INTO THE WILDS OF KENYA, HOPE YOU GET MANY GOOD SHOTS WITH YOUR CAMERAS AND NOT TOO MANY BATTLE SCARS ( INSECT BITES, SADDLE SORES FROM BUMPY VEHICLE RIDING, ETC.) LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR NEXT POSTING ABOUT THIS LATEST ADVENTURE. I'LL BET YOU WILL ALSO SEE SOME PRETTY STAR FILLED NIGHT SKIES IN THE BUSH COUNTRY. LOVE FROM G AND G O.

Erin said...

They show a lot of resentment, actually. They are a very critical people, much more so than the U.S. actually. But they are critical with very very good reason... most good opportunities and options that Kenya has are ruined by the government.