Sunday, September 7, 2008

On Mzungus and Matatus.

My grasp of Swahili is not very strong; we don’t start Kiswahili classes until next Tuesday, so my understanding of Swahili extends to Habari, Mzuri, Pesa ngapi, etc. (How are you, I’m fine, How much does it cost, etc.). One word, however, that I was bombarded with as soon as I got off the plane was mzungu. The word mzungu is technically translated into “foreigner”, but in my opinion the more accurate translation is “whitey”. As a whitey, I am constantly overrun with people shouting mzungu! mzungu! Sometimes they want to sell me something, sometimes they just think it’s hilarious that a whitey is walking through their neighborhood, sometimes they just want to find out why on earth I’m in Kenya.

I must say, it’s one of the strangest experiences in the world to walk down a street and have everyone stare at you. Everywhere I go, I make a scene. The other day I was walking down the street in a neighborhood that rarely sees white people. This little Somali boy was playing in a front yard, and as I passed his eyes got alarmingly wide. He screamed “Moooooooom” as he ran into the house, presumably to show his mom the mzungu walking down the street. Again, odd. We (the girls in the program) have made a joke about it and whisper “look, a mzungu!” if we see another whitey in town.

The language barrier is a very interesting experience in this city. For the most part, people can speak English and a lot of the signs are in English. They learn English in school, and several people I’ve met prefer writing and reading in English, even if their first and spoken language in Kiswahili (what the language of Swahili is actually called). The form of slang used by youth, called Sheng, is a combination of Kiswahili, English, and tribal languages. Oddly enough, I can almost always understand people’s accents on the street, even in the slums, but have a very hard time understanding professionals, such as my professors or actors in a play I saw. Regardless of the area, if you speak a little Kiswahili you will immediately separate yourself from the safari tourists and will almost certainly get much better prices or services.

On to matatus. Matatus are the main form of public transportation in and around Nairobi. They are usually very old, very beat up 14-passenger vans. They are notorious for breaking down or running out of gas in the middle of a ride. They are very very cheap (about 30 cents per ride), so most of the lower and middle class use them to get to work. Matatus are also well known for their designs. Most of them are covered on the outside in pictures of the most random pop cultural icons or phrases. I’ve seen ones with pictures of Obama (with the words “Time for REAL Change”), Timbaland, Jesus, Osama bin Laden and Britney Spears on the same van, and Bow Wow. They are hilarious. Most of them are blasting very loud hip hop, and some of the nicer ones are even equipped with DVD players! A lot of them, though, are in really poor conditions, with seats not anchored to the ground or broken windows.

Mzungus almost never ride on matatus, as they have bad reputations for theft and other crime. Mzungus generally take cabs or even the busses. Not us. We use matatus to get to school and internships everyday, and to get anywhere else we go during the day. If you’re smart about it, they really aren’t dangerous. At night though, we are required to take taxis (understandably; you would have to be stupid to take a matatu at night). We actually aren’t even allowed to outside after dark, so we often have to “chase the sun” to get back inside before darkness falls. Amazingly enough, despite there almost never being mzungus on the matatus, I never get comments or even second glance when I board. And a couple of stern words to the tot (the conductor, whose job it is to get people onto the matatu and collect fares) will lower the price to what the Kenyans are paying.

Well that’s all for now! On a final note, Anjali and I had some fantastic Indian food last night in a pure vegetarian, South Indian restaurant called Chowpaty. There is a very large Indian population here, so I’m looking forward to a semester full of amazing Indian food!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

So if you read Bethany's post, she mentioned something about staring as well...somehow I feel your staring issues are more legit :). I can't decide if being white and standing out is worse than blending in with the local population but actually not being local. By that I mean if I'm by myself, or even with a small enough group my peers, people will think I'm Egyptian. But I don't veil and I don't speak Arabic...its an interesting experience! Actually, when we went to Aswan one of the shopkeepers thought that I was my friend's Egyptian tour guide!

The language thing is true here too. If you can speak even a couple of words in Arabic you immediately get wide, beaming smiles and better prices. I think I made a taxi driver's night the other night when I pointed to the side of the road and said "meshi!" when we were close to where we needed to be. Meshi technically means "its okay" but what was about all the Arabic I could think of at the time. I guess somethings hold true no matter where you are!

Keep up the updates! :)

Gary said...

There's a book title in there somewhere: "Mzungus on the Matatus: Sheng and Stern Words for the Tots." Your nom de plume could be "Whitey Chowpaty." And you could autograph a copy for me with, "For Father, who knew me before I was famous." :-)

The matatus sound a lot like the buses in Lima. Except that they have the "Engrish"-like pop culture phrases.

Tutaonana! (which my internet dictionary tells me means "we will see each other later", or "bye," but which probably means something like, "Eat rabid aardvaark whiskers and jump into a lava pool." I wouldn't last long in Kenya.)

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are having an amazing time. It makes me want to leave DC and go to Africa right now.

I can't wait to see pictures! :)

Anonymous said...

I have to say that your adventures are the most interesting... Post some pictures for us

Mac said...

omg.....that sounds like such an amazing experience. I just read your last 2 blogs about africa. If they give you looks as you walk down the street I would hate to see what they would think of a fare skinned blonde kid. I wish that trying to speak german here was the same as speaking kiswahili in kenya because i always get negative glares and people speaking english to me that sound very unpleasent doing it. Whatever. I am really glad you are having a good time. How do you not get bored after it gets dark? Is there stuff to do at you apartment complex?

Mac said...

oh yeah...how did you get a pic on the background of your blog....I want to do the same with mine.

Anonymous said...

Yo. Find a good Kenyan Indian boy for me. This would make my mother very content...

K. Thanks much!
Amanda

ps. I keep thinking I see you walking on campus but it is not you : (

Anonymous said...

U better be in before dark! That is all...